Thursday, June 23, 2016

Full Retreat



So I was trundling along, admiring the lush undergrowth alongside the trail to Hawksbill's summit, and frankly not paying much attention to what was in front of me, when I suddenly glanced up. . .




and caught sight of this black bear (below) a few yards in front of me. 

Now I'll have to tell ya that I'm not one to be easily deterred from achieving my objectives. Being so near the summit, I was determined to press on in the hope that the big guy (gal?) would just move on and allow me to pass as sometimes happens. But, for whatever reason, this bear was having none of it. Each time I made a move to pass, he made a move closer to the trail until I finally decided it was time to retreat and snapped this picture on the way out of Dodge. 

Sorry for the fuzzy pic. I was just a tad more focused on avoiding trouble (and falling over a rock) than I was on the bear.


16 comments:

  1. Excelentes fotografias e com uma visita inesperada.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.
    Andarilhar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dangerous encounter. Indeed better to retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would scare me to see a bear that close, but you succeded in making a photo (could have been your last one...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always best to give a bear a wide berth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea to retreat - they can be unpredictable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummm, that's a serious sized bear...I would have been frozen with fear I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My! I'd still be running..er..retreating

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh I would have been off in the other side going quick smart 😃

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh I would have been off in the other side going quick smart 😃

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh I would have been off in the other side going quick smart 😃

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ewwww, oh my goodness, I´d panicked (totally wrong, I know).

    ReplyDelete
  12. glad you survived your bear encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wauu… You really saw a bear !!! It was a scary meeting, I think so.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! All comments are read and I will try to respond to all blog-related queries.