Sunday, June 19, 2016

Trees



Interesting. I've been hiking and backpacking up in these mountains since I was a kid and I still wouldn't have been able to tell you what species of trees grow at various altitudes. Now I know. :-)

"Today Shenandoah N[ational] P[ark] is greater than 95% forested. Over half of the land is dominated by either chestnut or red oak forests situated on the ridge tops and upper slopes. Mid-slope positions support areas of mixed hardwood forests that include maple (Acer spp.), birch (Betula spp.), ash (Fraxinusspp.), and basswood (Tilia americana) trees. Yellow poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera) forests are found on the lower slopes and along streams." ~ www.nps.gov

14 comments:

  1. Now you know ... and you've shared it, thank you.

    I like your photo and the blue sky too.

    All the best Jan

    PS Thanks for your recent comment on my 'Red' post about the 'flash peppers' I will look out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvelous shot. The tree looks like it is is struggling ti survive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely shot ! But I feel bad for the tree . It seems to be asking help
    http://shilpachandrasekheran.blogspot.ae/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice view. Must be wonderful to walk there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great view with that lonely tree trying to stay right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you need a field guide (book)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A-HA! hiking is not hitchhiking. Always happy to learn (I thought, what?!!! Hiking? Dangerous!).
    Quite a dramatic view, love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Yes, I've done some hitchhiking, too. But, I'll stick to hiking. But as you'll see in a couple of days, that can have it's own share of risks.

      Delete
  8. Really beautiful view.. It is worth to bike up here (or I prefer would walk).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! All comments are read and I will try to respond to all blog-related queries.