Thursday, July 14, 2016

No Granddaddy?



I was shocked to discover that what I've been calling Granddaddy Longlegs isn't. Not really. :-)

"English speakers colloquially refer to species of Opiliones as 'daddy longlegs' or 'granddaddy longlegs', but this name is also used for two other unrelated groups of arthropods: the crane flies of the family Tipulidae, and the cellar spiders of Pholcidae, most likely because of their similar appearance. They are also referred to as 'shepherd spiders' in reference to how their unusually long legs reminded observers of the ways that some European shepherds used stilts to better observe their wandering flocks from a distance." ~ Wikipedia

11 comments:

  1. Nice shot. Interesting. I have been calling them daddy long legs since I was kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daddy longlegs is a good name. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just used the term daddy longlegs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I call em daddy longlegs too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They've always been daddy long legs to me!
    Great photo

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! All comments are read and I will try to respond to all blog-related queries.