Thursday, September 29, 2016

Arlington Loop



Some of the places I've taken you to recently and that I'll be taking you to in coming posts have been along the so-called Arlington Loop. I've biked it a couple of times now. 

Tom asked where this picture was taken. It was taken in Glencarlyn Park. Glencarlyn used to be a summer community for Washingtonians who wanted to escape the heat of the city. That's hard for me to imagine. But I guess back then this might have been a welcome rural retreat. Now it's as densely populated and built up as the "city" across the river. 

14 comments:

  1. A very informative sign. Lots of interesting things along the route.

    ReplyDelete
  2. À espera do atleta.
    Um abraço e continuação de boa semana.
    Andarilhar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Good question, Tom! :-) This sign is in Glencarlyn Park. According to Wikipedia, the community of Glencarlyn was originally created as a summer community for Washingtonians who wished to escape the heat of the city. Glencarlyn was founded by partners Samuel S. Burdett, a former Missouri congressman, and his partner George W. Curtis in 1888.

      Delete
  4. Nice bike, esp the color. I prefer Mountain bikes, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The map is a nice place to start to see where you want to go. I like the bike. Enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be fun to tour the loop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the scenes, where it forms part of them the bicycles. I am preparing a series in which the protagonist, is the bicycle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always think it's nice to have a map when you visit parks ... it can make the visit much more interesting.

    I like the colour of the bike.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is that your snazzy red bike? Sounds like this is a nice trail! Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, my Specialized Allez is over a decade old now and has countless thousands of miles under its wheels.

      Delete
  10. Over time a city can build up and up and around. The old schoolhouse I featured the other day would have been out in the countryside when it was first built.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! All comments are read and I will try to respond to all blog-related queries.