Thursday, December 22, 2016

Clyfford Still


Clyfford Still, 1962-D, 1962, oil on canvas

"Clyfford Still (November 30, 1904 – June 23, 1980) was an American painter, and one of the leading figures in the first generation of Abstract Expressionists, who developed a new, powerful approach to painting in the years immediately following World War II. Still has been credited with laying the groundwork for the movement, as his shift from representational to abstract painting occurred between 1938 and 1942, earlier than his colleagues like Jackson Pollock and Mark Rothko, who continued to paint in figurative-surrealist styles well into the 1940s." ~ Wikipedia

7 comments:

  1. If only I could hear the story behind his artistic painting. I bet it would be very interesting to hear. How does one go about this process. I once met an artist and she did abstracts. My wife and I were interviewing her and she said her process was listening to what it told her as she painted. I guess, go with the flow of the brush :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read somewhere, Bill, that Stills became interested in the relationships between space and color, hence the canvas appearing to be untouched in places. I also seem to have read that he liked to take his art to the edges of things as if it was extending into space. Of course, for all I know, I just made all that up. :-)

      Delete
  2. I looked it up- our national gallery has one of his works. The style felt familiar.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! All comments are read and I will try to respond to all blog-related queries.