Friday, December 9, 2016

Triple Jump


Gene Davis, Triple Jump, 1962, oil and magna on canvas, Smithsonian American Art Museum

Doing a little research, I learned that a conservator, Amber Kerr, performed some restorative work to prepare Davis' Triple Jump for exhibition. I hadn't even thought about how that kind of work might be needed on a piece like this until it dawned on me that, yeah, this work really is now more than 50-years old. Duh! To put it in even greater perspective, 1962 was the year of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

10 comments:

  1. Nice study in blue. I like your new header!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspired by the paint store!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work . Somehow it reminds me a bit on the panels of Donald Judd and then not the painting but the horizontal panels above each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an effective display RR, I imagine the restoration might not be too complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine there are things a conservator would know that needs to be done to a painting that wouldn't occur to the average person.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! All comments are read and I will try to respond to all blog-related queries.