Thursday, December 8, 2016

Two Part Blue


Well, as I said in an earlier post, my goal this past weekend was to visit the Gene Davis exhibit now showing in the Smithsonian American Art Museum. I'll take you on a tour over the next few days as well as share a few other works I spotted on the same floor. Davis called the piece shown above "Two Part Blue" and it was created in 1920 with magna on canvas.

"Gene Davis was a major figure in 20th-century American painting whose contribution was invaluable in establishing Washington, D.C., as a center of contemporary art. Davis also played a significant national and international role in the color abstraction movement that first achieved prominence in the 1960s." ~ Jacquelyn D. Serwer

11 comments:

  1. Great composition. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I never knew what Magna was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trabalho fantástico.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.
    Andarilhar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome image! I like the way you composed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is attractive the silhouette, making contrast with the bars of colors

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your shot! I knew nothing of this artist before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't either until news about the exhibit began to circulate.

      Delete
  7. I like the way you shot this with the silhouette. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! All comments are read and I will try to respond to all blog-related queries.