Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Bamboo


Bamboo is about as common as grass where I live and a heck of a lot easier to grow. Only it's rare to see specimens so mature as these in the U. S. Botanic Garden.

"Bambusa vulgaris, common bamboo, is an open-clump type bamboo species. It is native to Indochina and to the province of Yunnan in southern China, but it has been widely cultivated in many other places and has become naturalized in several. Among bamboo species, it is one of the largest and most easily recognized." ~ Wikipedia

Update: I wouldn't want to leave my readers thinking nothing was happening in D.C. as we head into Friday's inauguration and Saturday's March on Washington. Things are definitely heating up in the nation's capital. Traffic barriers are being erected, security perimeters established, media equipment deployed and already a smattering of protests causing traffic tie-ups. Many hundreds of thousands of people are expected to descend upon the area within the next 2-3 days. I know I'm expecting a house full of protesters myself this weekend. Beginning tomorrow, I'll interrupt my tranquil little tour of D.C. to show you some of the preparations that have been taking place.

10 comments:

  1. Only missing a few panda's now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can get a wee bit out of control if you let it RR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and where it grows it can take over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the Bamboo sure isn´t big and strong enough to keep people from fighting.
    Oh, well. A seven-year-old as president, who´d have guessed. But let´s hope he gets the job done, for the sake of all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think DC would be an interesting place to be over the next few days. I'll be watching on TV. I'm totally disgusted with the results of the election, and how it has all been managed, wonder what horrors are coming next. Looking forward to your next blog posts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I imagine botanic gardens here might have some bamboo around.

    Here we're wondering, among other things, who the next ambassador will be. The outgoing ambassador was well liked here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...Yep, the Circus is coming to town led by a bunch of elephants...call PETA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know it sprouted off the big stalks like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know bamboo was that common and grew that big.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! All comments are read and I will try to respond to all blog-related queries.