Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Reverse Images?


Stuart Davis, Colonial Cubism, 1954, oil on canvas at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.


Stuart Davis, Detail study for "Cliché", 1955, gouache and pencil at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.

I didn't think about this until after I got home and started studying these two images. Then it occurred to me that they are in some ways the reverse images of each other. Don't you think so? Made me wonder if this was intentional on Davis' part.

10 comments:

  1. Great and powerful, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm thinking it's the earlier 1954 image.

      Delete
  3. Apparently our national gallery has at least one of his works. I'll have to look for it the next time I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow but I really like his work! I could live with these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An excellent work, fruit of a great artist

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is wonderful about this art is that there is no right or wrong interpretation. It is what you think it is and I like it. It reminds me of a puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like a lot these art of this artist. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! All comments are read and I will try to respond to all blog-related queries.