Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Mountains at Coullioure


André Durain, "Mountains at Coullioure", 1905, oil on canvas at the National Gallery of Art.

André Derain was a French artist, painter, sculptor and co-founder of Fauvism with Henri Matisse.

"Fauvism is the style of les Fauves (French for "the wild beasts"), a loose group of early twentieth-century modern artists whose works emphasized painterly qualities and strong color over the representational or realistic values retained by Impressionism." ~ Wikipedia

12 comments:

  1. I like it, have been there in Collioure, a pretty artists village.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the light and colors there are unbelievable and attracted and still attract a lot of artists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd not heard of 'Fauvism' before ...thanks for the helpful links.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think I can find a spot for this one RR 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...nice art lesson, I stop back again for more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Attractive canvas with stunning colors

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always liked Matisse's works. Nice colors here too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! All comments are read and I will try to respond to all blog-related queries.