Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Ugliest Building in America


So what do you think? Was Mark Twain right?

"The Eisenhower Executive Office Building (EEOB) — formerly known as the Old Executive Office Building (OEOB) and even earlier as the State, War, and Navy Building — is a U.S. government building situated just west of the White House in the U.S. capital of Washington, D.C. Maintained by the General Services Administration, it is occupied by the Executive Office of the President, including the Office of the Vice President of the United States. . . .

It was designed by Alfred B. Mullett, Supervising Architect. Patterned after French Second Empire architecture that clashed sharply with the neoclassical style of the other Federal buildings in the city, it was generally regarded with scorn and disdain, and Mullett, the exterior architect, ended his life by suicide, while in litigation. The OEOB was referred to by Mark Twain as 'the ugliest building in America.' President Harry S. Truman called it 'the greatest monstrosity in America.' Historian Henry Adams called it Mullett's 'architectural infant asylum.' (Wikipedia)"

13 comments:

  1. I can think of much uglier buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing is sure. Alfred B. Mullett knew his classics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...perhaps it's just busy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very eclectic style but not ugly nor a monstrosity...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I certainly don't think it was worth killing himself over RR! Our Parliament House is much uglier than this 😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not ugly by any means, I've seen worse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it does have a lot of bits and pieces of stuff hanging all over it, a little bit OTT I think. (OTT = Over The Top)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think it's ugly, in fact I like all those columns. It sounds like people were a little hard on the poor architect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Lois. I can see where maybe at the time it seemed a radical departure from the architecture that was there. But I rather enjoy seeing it come into view now each time I visit city's federal district.

      Delete
  9. I don't think it's too bad, there are worse!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! All comments are read and I will try to respond to all blog-related queries.