Friday, June 16, 2017

Bodhrán


Poked my head into this shop for just a minute and the shopkeeper was kind enough to let me photograph these fine examples of a traditional Irish instrument.

"The bodhrán. . . is an Irish frame drum ranging from 25 to 65 cm (10 to 26 in) in diameter, with most drums measuring 35 to 45 cm (14 to 18 in). The sides of the drum are 9 to 20 cm ( 3 1⁄2 to 8 in) deep. A goatskin head is tacked to one side (synthetic heads or other animal skins are sometimes used). The other side is open-ended for one hand to be placed against the inside of the drum head to control the pitch and timbre." (Wikipedia)."

12 comments:

  1. ...to the beat of a different drum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I still mis the harp, violin and tin flute but perhaps they are coming along in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to have a go at playing one of these, but I'd probably just make a nasty noise! I've seen the bohdran played in many traditional celtic bands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good image, of percussionist instruments

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking at one of these a couple of hours ago. The embassy here was putting on an event in collaboration with other groups.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! All comments are read and I will try to respond to all blog-related queries.