Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Vega



"The Vega Company was a musical instrument manufacturer that started operations in Boston, Massachusetts in 1881. The company began under Swedish-born Julius Nelson, his brother Carl, and a group of associates that included John Pahn and John Swenson. The founders had previously worked for a guitar shop run by Pehr Anderberg that made instruments for John C. Haynes, another Boston musical instrument company. Nelson had served as foreman of guitar and mandolin manufacturing at Anderberg's shop. Subsequently, Julius and Carl Nelson bought out the other founding associates and established the Vega company. . . .

Perhaps the most visible Vega instrument in the 1950s and 60s was the long neck 5-string banjo designed and used by folk singer Pete Seeger, and later by several folk groups like the Kingston Trio and The Limeliters" (Wikipedia).



13 comments:

  1. ...and those jean have been around since 1881.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did notice the colourful boxer shorts under his ripped jeans ☺ That IS a very long necked banjo, lot's of options for plucking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for the photo's and info - was interesting to read.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed folk singers for a long time back in UK, loved Pete Seeger's songs. I met his sister Peggy Seeger once, with her husband Ewen McColl. And I like the sound that a banjo makes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I followed folk singers for a long time back in UK, loved Pete Seeger's songs. I met his sister Peggy Seeger once, with her husband Ewen McColl. And I like the sound that a banjo makes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great and probably sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting stuff indeed, thanks for sharing and greetings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very nice looking instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good portrait

    I answer your question on my blog. In photograph 2 and 3 a windmill appears

    ReplyDelete
  10. You got very great portait,

    ReplyDelete
  11. The guitarist resembles someone I know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm imagining some awesome sound here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! All comments are read and I will try to respond to all blog-related queries.