Sunday, August 6, 2017

Ewer


Head Gardener's House
Kylemore Abbey & Victorian Walled Garden

"'Good morning, Grace,' I said. "Has anything happened here? I thought I heard the servants all talking together a while ago.'

'Only master had been reading in his bed last night; he fell asleep with his candle lit, and the curtains got on fire; but, fortunately, he awoke before the bed-clothes or the wood-work caught, and contrived to quench the flames with the water in the ewer.'" ~ From Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

15 comments:

  1. Very nice glazing and pattern here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you can quench a fire with this very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the voice of experience? :-)

      Delete
  3. ...an ewer, not a term that I often use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must´ve been a tiny fire, then. Quite a design, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, I can hear it too! Tell us more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muy buena pieza de hermosa ornamentación

    ReplyDelete
  7. Old fashioned word, and quite colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Usually paired with a matching basin? Or is that not the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the same thing. I understand, though, that the basins do not always survive very well after heavy usage. So I imagine that is what happened in this case. Too bad, because I am sure it must have been a beauty.

      Delete
    2. I have a child'sewer and basin set, it's sitting in the storage cupboard in the basement, I'll have to blog post about it!

      Delete
  9. A very nice pattern.
    I like it.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! All comments are read and I will try to respond to all blog-related queries.