Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Numbered


Ballyvaughn, Ireland

Thanks to biebkriebels, I was able to learn more about the European Union's regulations regarding bovine animals, all of which makes great sense to me after having once seen the devastating results of hoof-and-mouth disease among cattle in Hungary:

In April 1997, in response to the BSE crisis, the Council of the European Union implemented a system of permanent identification of individual bovine animals enabling reliable traceability from birth to death.

The basic objectives for Community rules on the identification of bovine animals are:
  • the localisation and tracing of animals for veterinary purposes, which is of crucial importance for the control of infectious diseases
  • the traceability of beef for public health reasons
  • the management and supervision of livestock premiums as part of the common organisation of the market in beef and veal

13 comments:

  1. I feel always sad for the animals. It is EU rule in the whole Europe, here too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. I didn't realize this was an EU rule.

      Delete
  2. Muy buenas medidas para la seguridad de los consumidores

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice picture.... I like cows. And an interesting explanation of the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fear my original comment got lost... :(
    There are LOTS of regulations in the EU (I think that was part of the whole Brexit fiasco). But most of them are for good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes, I remember those awful pictures of BSE-stricken cows.
    Preventing and/or tracking sure is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good system. Nice portrait of the cow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice photo. Cows are so great to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well these cows are simply handsome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! All comments are read and I will try to respond to all blog-related queries.